Getting a Library Card

Steps to getting a library card:

Do you live within the city taxing district?

This does not include everyone with a Peru address, nor even those who could logically say they live in town. There is a map we use to check address, and you can see the outline of the City Taxing District here:

If you live within the green area, your property taxes go to pay for the library, per Indiana State Law.

If you live outside the green area, Indiana State Law requires that you pay for a library card as none of the taxes you pay go to support the library.

If you don’t live within the City Taxing District, but you own property within it, you can still be a tax-funded library card, but there’s a few extra steps and they have to be repeated yearly.
Check out further information about this at the end of these steps!

If you do not live within the City Taxing District, as described above, a library card costs $75 for a year, or $25 for 3 months. Cash or checks only.

You will need to bring in a photo ID and proof of address.

Is your license up-to-date with the correct address? That counts as both!

If you do not have a driver’s license with the correct address on it, you will need to bring in proof of address. This is normally just a bill or bank statement – something computer generated that is addressed to you and was issued within the last 30 days, with your correct address on it.

Here is a list of all accepted proofs:
-Valid voter registration card,
-Computer generated bank statement issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days,
-Computer generated utility, credit card company, doctor or hospital bill, issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days and containing address of residence,
-Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement issued in the applicant’s name within the last 30 days,
-Change-of-address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing prior and current address of residence (a P.O. Box is not acceptable as a residence address),
-Apartment lease signed within the last 30 days,
-Property tax receipt issued in applicant’s name

If you don’t have a driver’s license, you will need to bring in a different photo ID.

Here is the list of acceptable ID, per Evergreen Indiana:
-Valid Indiana Driver’s License,
-Valid Indiana State Identification,
-Valid U.S. or other Government issued Identification (e.g., passport, military identification, permanent resident card issued by Department of Homeland Security or Immigration Services),
-Valid identification issued by another State (e.g., Driver’s License),
-Valid current university or college identification (e.g., Student identification)

Bring your ID to the computer room (back room on the second floor) to apply for the library card. The library staff will ask you to fill out an application and to see your ID/proof of address.

You’re done! Here’s some final details for you:

Cards have expiration dates. A resident card expires after 2 years, while a non-resident card is good for however long you paid for.

If your address changes at any point, please inform the library so your account can be updated. Proof of address will be required for this as well.

Renewing a card:
If you are a resident, photo ID must be brought in and the staff will verify that all information is still up-to-date for you.
If you are a non-resident or a dual-property owner, the process is the same.

There is a $2 fee for replacing a lost card. This does not apply if you are renewing your account like normal, only if you have to replace a card that was already recently replaced.

All cards issued are individual cards, not family cards, per Indiana State Law.

Library cards are nontransferable. Books may not be borrowed using another persons card.

The person getting a card must be present. You may not apply for a card for someone else, unless that someone is a minor you are the parent or legal guardian of.

Parents/Guardians apply for cards on behalf of their children, with the adult listing their DL or other photo ID number on the application. The parent/guardian’s name is listed on a separate line.

The adult listed on a minor’s card is responsible for all fees and fines associated with that account.

Dual-Property Owners

Dual-property owners (those who live outside the city taxing district but own physical property within the taxing district) have 1 year cards, and can get a library card if they:

Own the property within the City of Peru library taxing district.  The property must be a livable rental unit or occupiable business property.  Property MUST BE in the applicant’s name (or legal spouses) to be eligible for a funded card. 

To apply for a card, the adult must provide proof of ownership of the property within the library district (Treasurer Form TS-1A: State Form 53569), approved identification and provide proof of current paid tax receipt for the property. (You can ask for an example of this at the desk) All documentation will be photocopied and attached to library card application.

Business property may be eligible for a funded card.

The applicant’s name (or legal spouse) MUST BE on the property tax statement to qualify.

The applicant must be the owner and taxpayer of the property. The applicant is ineligible for a funded card if he/she is part of group ownership of a property or the representative of the legal owner. 

Corporations, holding companies, or other businesses that do not list individual names on paperwork are ineligible for funded cards. 

Those issued personal property tax forms with funds paid to the library are ineligible for funded library cards.

Library cards are individual cards and only valid for one year.

The property tax form (Treasurer Form TS-1A:State Form 53569) and current pay tax receipt MUST BE presented each time a card is renewed.

The library reserves the right to ask for other verifying documentation or to deny applications.